do i need to fill up my torque converter with trans fluid prior to installation?

or do i just need to fill up the trans?

when i took apart my last engine and transmission, a lot of trans fluid came out of the torque converter upon removal. was it filled up prior to installation or does it full up with use of a well oiled transmission?

i have a 700r4 transmission with a 2400 stall speed lock up converter. the engine is a 400 horsepower 350 small block chevy. thanks

okay, is there any special trans fluid i need to use? how much fluid should i use? is there any special thing i should know? or simply just pour it in until it's full? thank you.

I was afraid you were going to ask. This is not my speacilty (transmissions that is), someone will come to help I`m sure. But I do know you fill them first. :rolleyes:

i just read online that i should use about a quart of fluid, and to pour it in slowly, because it doesn't take fast. if this is wrong, or if there's anything else i should know, i'd appreciate the infomation. thanks.

as you pour the fluid in, and it looks full, spin the converter like a top, then it will take more fluid. do that about 3 or 4 times and you are good to go. also, put a little white lube or red grease on the converter hub and on the front seal of the transmission before you put the converter in.