ENGINE - Adjusting Rockers assistance needed

It seems no matter how hard my husband and I try to adjust my rockers, we can't seem to get them all right. Anyone got any tips on how to best do this? It seems like my hearing isn't as good as it should be or maybe I am listening too hard. Whatever the reason it is, I still have a couple of them knocking.

I think I may have ADD or something. When I have the valve cover off and I am trying to listen to just one while I adjust it, I still hear all of them. I just can't seem to focus.

I would love to hear some of the techniques you guys use adjusting them.

Thanks,

Stella

I use the method from the Monte Haynes manual with the engine not running. Engine in No. 1 firing position, Intake/Outlet valves on half of the cylinders (don't remember which one).

Engine in No. 6 firing position, other half of the valves.

I turn down the nut until I feel resistance when turning the pushrod between two fingers and then another 1/2 turn. I also use rocker arm nuts with locks.

This method worked fine for me, so far...

That is the method I used when I put the block together, however, when I finally fired up the engine I heard the rockers knock, so I took the valve covers off and placed rocker clips on to help stop the oil from going everywhere and tried to adjust them that way. I thought I did a good job, but I don't think I did.

Kevin and I adjusted the rockers on Ike's car, I will have to ask him if he hears his knocking. The manual method is what I used for his.

I am planning to take it to the track in a couple of weeks and I would like to try it again and hopefully have them fixed.

Try this. With a socket rotate the motor till

the exhaust valve is starting to open then

adjust the intake valve till you start to get resistence on the pushrod. Then go 1/2

to 3/4 of a turn more. Then turn the motor

till the intake valve starts to open then

adjust the exhaust valve. Repeat for every cylinder. Takes awhile but has always worked for me, unless you are using variable duration lifters. You dont preload them.

This isn't real high-tech, Stella, but it might just be the 'focus' you were looking for. I always used to take a length of heater (water) hose, and stick one end in my ear, and hold the other end right next to the rocker I was adjusting. Works well at finding exhaust leaks too. You could come out from under the shade-tree and buy a cheap stethoscope I suppose, but what fun would that be???

Al Leu

Thanks guys.

I really like the sounds of the 'shadetree' way, I think I will try that. I think that will be what I really need.

Thanks for all your help. If that doesn't do the trick I will try the other way, but this seems easier. :-)

Stella

70 Monte Carlo

• 2 weeks later...

I like to adust my rockers while the engine is running. What I did was found an old metal valve cover and cut the raised top portion out the lenght of the valve cover. I install this on one head at a time after the engine is at operating temp. Then after the cover is in place I start at the front and work my way back while the engine is running. I start by backing off the the valve fulcrom ball nut until I can here the valve start to clatter. Then I slowly tighten the fulcrom ball nut down until the clatter stops. Then I tighten 3/4 turn more. Take one valve at a time. This will set your valves at operating temp and you should not be required to adjust anymore. Now the purpouse for cutting the top out on the valve cover is to keep the oil from flying all over the engine copartment. It's important to understand not to rev the engine while this valve cover is in place because of the oil and don't forget to go ahead and use the gasket when using your valve cover while adjusting your valves. I've done this dozens of times and will only take about a half an hour. Good luck....Jon.

I have been slack and haven't tried adjusting them yet. I don't have much to do with the hubby out of town, so I am sure I will get to it this week. I like using the rocker clips and they are at a friends house.

I got my exhaust leak fixed and I can hear them knocking pretty good, so I think it won't be much of a problem anymore hearing wise.

Thanks for all the advise!!! I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Clocks method is the one I've used since I was a kid and my father used to teach me on his 69 camaro/71 GMC and old cuda. I've seen guys go by the book with the feeler gage setting each one in godly fashion only to have them tick, rap and rattle afterwards. Use the locking bolts.