AUTO BODY REPAIR - Vinal top trim?

Hi,Looking for advice for removeing the trim around the bonet top on a 70.Is there a special tool required for this or is there a trick i should know before i get the hammer and chisel out smile.gif The tops in great shape but the rust bubbles underneath are driving me nuts...so....off it comes..going to clean it up, use the por-15 and put a new top on...The trim's in great shape...I just want it to remain that way. Thanks in advance RCR

Yes, there are plastic clips under the trim. Also, the 2 rear corner pieces (near the trunk lid) are held on by nuts from underneath. Beware of what you may find under the bubbling vinyl. I was planning to do exactly what you are but discovered a severly damaged portion of the quarter piller and on the trunk filler due to a previous owner (pre-1980) botched repair.

Chris

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
Yes, there are plastic clips under the trim. Also, the 2 rear corner pieces (near the trunk lid) are held on by nuts from underneath. Beware of what you may find under the bubbling vinyl. I was planning to do exactly what you are but discovered a severly damaged portion of the quarter piller and on the trunk filler due to a previous owner (pre-1980) botched repair.
Chris
</font>

What he said. Also, the trim around the glass needs another tool. It is shaped like a flat arrow to reach under the trim and pull the clips off the trim. Those clips just hook on the edge of the trim. You can get them at any parts store.

RCR001, The rear corner pieces, as explained above, are bolted on with two bolts per item. Bolt nuts, 3/8", assessable via trunk, underneath package tray. The corner pieces are cast metal and break super easy. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4/10bolt, Branson participant

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project Darkest of Dark Green Metallics/GenIII346LS1/4L65E/12bolt posi

71Monte-1.jpg