ENGINE - Alternator Bracket won't fit ?!?

I have a 72 Monte, 350ci, 4bbl. I bought an after market alternator bracket to replace the old one. When I got it, it was too short. I know I have a long neck water pump and the bracket I bought was for that, according to Summit. So I tried a short neck bracket. Again, too short. The intake manifold is an Edelbrock Performer so it has the bolt hole for the short neck application. The long bracket as we know goes to the water neck and the short to the bolt hole on the manifold. I'm I missing something? Because there should be no reason why it does not fit. Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, please advise me as to the best plan of action to remedy the situation. Oh, the stock bracket is also very tight to install. Could it be the manifold?

Oh..yeah...I had that same problem. It was a major PITA to try to figure out what to do.

I ended up going for a late model bracket. I can't remember the exact year span that it covers, but I think it is the same one on our 80 Chevy pick-up.

Good luck matching it up. You will probably end up with a closet full of alternator brackets, like I have.

Well,

the bracket did not fit at all for my new Edlebrock RPM Air Gap Intake.

So I just left that bolt out that attaches the bracket to the water neck. So far, it works just fine....

------------------

71 Monte 383

86 Monte LS ZZ4

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

I had the exact same problem, I 'borrowed' the bracket from my 86 Elcamino with a 305. it fit perfectly. The two brackets looked almost identical, but for some reason the elcamino bracket fit and the other wouldn't.

Burt