TH350?

Would a TH350 Tranny be best for my monte? I got a 1980 Block in it. And everyone I ask around here seems like they don't know? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

If you don't have a tranny yet and you don't care if its a stock one, i think they have some pretty good kits for the 200R4 and the 700R4, plus with gas prices the overdrive would be a nice thing to have. Someone else will probly be able to help ya more tho

the TH 350 was the normal auto trans for a Monte. they could be ordered with a Power Glide(2speed)as well as 3and 4 speed manual .Big blocks came with the TH 400 .if you are just using the car as a normal driver the 350 will be fine .if you have added quite a bit of HP then you might want the TH400 .but be aware that the TH400 has a higher first gear ratio than a TH 350.

several of us here have changed up to 700R4 OD trans .

mike

ibex, price wise its pretty tough to beat the tb 350, being from cleveland i bought a rebuild from a shop in n. ridgeville for 400.00 core included theres a place on the near west side that will rebuild them for 250.00.(to cheap for me to trust ) gene

Ok..its gonna be a daily driver...but not every sinlge day...of course only on nice days which here in a typical Cleveland,Ohio summer is about 5 days...lol. But I'm pushing maybe 250 hp to the rear wheels. When I had the engine put in , they said it puts out about 300. Its a small block 350. I'm doing some shopping but this info here really does narrow my search down....instead of shopping for just "Transmission" I can refine it more know and make a better decision. Thanks Guys.

If your disappointed with the power your monte is putting out I would go with an overdrive tranny. They have better gears in them and it helps out with gas mileage. Also with the overdrive you can put a little more gear in the rear and it will still be highway friendly.

Ok..but the question is, how much more would it cost? Cause If I put in an overdrive tranny,like you said,I should put in better gears on the rear end. Im on a limited budget of about $800.00 smackaroos.

Ibex... the 700r4 and 200r4 both have a lower first gear ratio than the TH350 .you can go with the OD and leave your stock axle gears. what was meant in the above post was with OD you may have lower axle gears(higher numerically )and because of the OD not suffer in fuel MPG . I have not seen a 200 install but have 700 in my car . i run a 2.73 axle and 27-28 " tire . it runs about 1800RPM at 60mph. you will need to fabricate the rear tranny mount . also change in driveshaft lenght.

mike

OK...This is what im planning on doing...I have a stock TH350...so it's gonna get rebuild. Im putting in a 3000 stall, and a Trans cooler. Gonna have all the mounts brackets and cables replaced along with a new Trans mount. It's goona go in this week and I'll let you all know how it drives when shes done. ANy suggestions on how she will drive? I kinda want to know what to expect. thanks guys.

I had a 355 chevy motor, TH350 trans with a 3000 TCI stall converter stock rear end gears. It really took off great. With stock rear end I could rip off 1 tire np. Gas? Hehe V8's all eat gas. All you can do is compare with other V8's and taking in concern all the mods you have will = less gas saved. Oh also a lead foot..)

I had a 355 chevy motor, TH350 trans with a 3000 TCI stall converter stock rear end gears. It really took off great. With stock rear end I could rip off 1 tire np. Gas? Hehe V8's all eat gas. All you can do is compare with other V8's and taking in concern all the mods you have will = less gas saved. Oh also a lead foot..)

• 2 weeks later...

It ranged, the cars i know it came with were the late 80's:

Blazer/S10/Astro 4.3L V6

C4 Corvette 5.7L V8

It may have come in more cars like the camaro but im not sure.

A note of caution

a stock 700R4 is weak, subject to early failure with high temps. OD should never be used if towing.

Around here the 700R4 costs nearly double to rebuild as compared to the TH350 & TH400.

I understand that the 700R4 can be built to last.

If the 200 and the 700 are both 4 spd autos, then what is the big different between them? I sounds like the 200 is a direct 350 replacement and the 700 requires fabrication and a new driveshaft.

Mike

the 200 came in lighter cars and the 700 was in heavy cars and trucks.

the operational difference is the gear ratios .

700 has a lower 1st gear ratio....BUT the 200 has more even spacing of the gear ratios .similar to close ratio vs wide ratio in standard trans.

mike