Monte Carlo's Actual Weight ?

. In the past there has been some controversy over the actual weight of these wonderful cars. I have found and believe the curb weight to be 3506lbs for the year 1972, yet the GVWR is 4970 and the maximum load capacity is 1100lbs. I have read of others stating that the weight is most likely around 3800. While I failed to believe them, soon I became confused and am here asking if anybody has the answer to this question, I am modeling my monte and trying to get an aproximation of the ¼-Mile times. Does anyone know for a fact, what the weight of a completly stock 1972 Monte Carlo 350 with a TH350 transmission is?

---Thanks - Ryan---

[This message has been edited by Doctor^Phreak (edited 08-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Doctor^Phreak (edited 08-29-2002).]

3506 shipping weight, thats with all the iron. Base price 3362, 180,819 production total. Hope this helps you out. lol.

[This message has been edited by Rixter (edited 08-29-2002).]

Thanks,

That really helped me out a lot. I couldn't help but wonder if 3506 was the true weight, I didn't want to predict my car running 11.172 @120.1 if it were really going to run 11.520 @116.9's +. I'd rather spare the disappointment when I pull it out of the shop.

---Dr.Phreak---

I weighed mine, with working air, full tank of gas, spare tire, bench seat, 350/th-350,full dual exhaust to the bumper w/headers, and a 4" glass hood it came in at 3780 with 15x7 rally's in the front and 15x8's in the rear.

I received a book from GM of Canada on the 72 Monte(issued 9/71 by Chevrolet Motor Division - GMC of Warren Michigan) which gives the "1972 AMA Specifications" for the 2-door Sport Coupe 13857. The shipping weight for it is listed as 3506, which is defined on the same page as "weight of basic vehicle with regular equipment, including grease, oil, and 3 gallons of gasoline, and engine coolant to capacity."

The curb weight which includes a full tank of gas)is given as 3603. The book also lists how much to add or subtract for optional equipment:

• Air Conditioning +102
  • Power windows +23
  • Power steering +28
  • Radio AM Push button +8
  • Radio AM/FM Push button +9
  • AM push button radio and tape player +21, +22 for AM/FM
  • Radio stereo equipment +15
  • Electric Door Locks +8
  • Electric Window Control +23
  • Powerseat 4-way +19(bench), +24(bucket)
  • Exterior soft roof cover +7
  • Floor console +17(with automatic transmission)
  • 350 cu. in. L48 +8
  • 402 cu. in. LS3 +222
  • 454 cu. in. LS5 +182
  • Powerglide Transmission +10 (used with base V8-350)
  • Turbo Hydor-matic Trans +27(with L48), +50(with LS3), +121(with LS5)

Another photocopy of the same book has a few added pages at the end which include Dimensions and Weights, and it groups a few of the options differently. Here they are:

• D55 Console +9(4-speed), +17(automatic)
  • 350 cu. in. V8 Powerglide +12, Turbo Hydramatic +38
  • 350 cu. in. V8 Hydramatic +56 (what's different than the above line to add 18 pounds? No clue, but that's what it says.)
  • LS3 402 Cu. in. V8 +284
  • LS5 454 Cu. in. V8 +315
  • A51 Astro bucket seats +19

The rest look pretty much the same. Looks like GM can't quite decide exactly how much the Monte options weigh...

If anyone needs any other specs from this book, let me know. It has about 50 different dimensions - everything from leg room to clearances for the Sport Coupe.

Hope this helps!

Sam

------------------

OldMonte100jpg.jpgSee my 72 Monte Carlo Custom 454 LS5 here!

Listen to the motor here!

Thanks for the help everyone. I finally figured out what my Monte Carlo should weigh. Well... 3800lbs isn't too bad.

Wainford, I looked through your site and, nice sounding 454. My Monte is in a bit worse condition than yours, 222111_27_full.jpg 350 4bbl.

I was looking through the links and found this:

SMOKIN

That is exactly the color of blue I had in mind and was wondering if you could get the paint code?

--- Thanks -- Again - Ryan ---

Ryan,

I agree, that is an awesome color blue on that Monte. I'm not sure which link on my site you followed to find that photo.

I've got the original 1972 Paint chart and none of those blues look quite as rich as the one in the photo. Targa Blue Irid A-2544 looks the closest, but the chart says it came on Corvette's only.

Best thing to do would be to find the guy who owns that SMOKIN' Monte! I remember seeing his photos, so I'll try to find them again.

Well, the owner of the smokin' blue Monte Carlo must be a member of the NMCOA (National Monte Carlo Owners Association) because those same photos are on their website in the "Photos" area in the "1970-72" section. Go to www.MonteCarloClub.com and you'll find them.

Dave