ENGINE - 1/4 inch fuel line, whats it for?

Before I go and cap off my 1/4" fuel return line (featured on 1970 models only for some reason) because I can't get the filter anymore (discontinued), I'd like to know why it's there? Anybody know? I'm thinking that maybe it was to relieve the pressure at the carb so that fuel isn't squirting out all over. Did two barrel carb applications in 1970 have this feature or is it only associated with 4BBL Q-jets? Maybe they just wanted to cycle fuel through the filter in order to constantly filter the fuel in the tank?

Thanks,

Allen

Allen,

Good question. Only reason I can think of is fuel percolaction (sp)(vapors)due to heat. My '71 350 4bbl Qjet has the return line also. Stock filter was available. I'm going to use this return line on a TPI system from a Z28 IROC I'm installing soon. TPI uses 3/8" line but was informed that 1/4" would be okay.

------------------

Ed

'71 Black 400/700R4 must be run'n by May 28 to make show

'71 Saddle SS454 orginial

'71 Project, 2" chop planned

I don't have a web address for the right stuff, I'll see if I can find their phone # for you. as for the return line, its there because of the routing of the fuel line it gets a lot of heat so the return is used to vent vapor and air bubbles from percolation back to the tank. your stock fuel pump shouldn't produce enough pressure to cause any problems by plugging the return. I just saw that "The Paddock" has the GF432 filter listed in their new catalogs. give them a call at 1-800-428-4319.

Don

I found the right stuff phone # 800-405-2000 or www.rightstuffdetailing.com

[This message has been edited by Rice Racing (edited 03-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Rice Racing (edited 03-22-2002).]