ENGINE - Variable Duration Lifters

I looked up the stock cam specs for my 71 SS454 LS5. My resto packet stated that the LS5 is equiped with a high duration cam. Advertised duration on my the stock cam is 350/352, while duration at .05 lift is 214/216. In my quest for more power while using stock parts I was going to put a new crane blueprint cam in since I don't know whats in there now. I was wondering if Crane's variable duration lifters would help generate more low rpm cylinder pressure and more torque? I have also heard that advancing the cam 4 degrees moves the torque curve down lower. Any ideas.

Yes, the crane "fast-bleed lifters" will generate more torque by having lower lift at lower rpm and higher lift at higher rpm. I have them installed in my 383 and they are great! Another nice effect of these lifters is that they give you higher vacuum for your brakes compared to standard lifters.

Also, putting the cam in 4 degrees advanced will help the engine low-rpm torque. But check if your cam is not already ground 4 degrees advanced, many of them are...

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

I have Crane variable durations in my 468.

I cant say that I noticed a dramatic difference when I installed them,but I will also say that I installed the MSD ignition new cam,valve spings,a different intake and roller rockers at the same time. So my baseline was blown to hell.I will say that the rockers and the liters definetly added noise to the valve trane.Never had any problems with them.

Well I think that Crane has only offered variable duration lifter for the last couple of years. But Rhodes has offered them for a long time.Although the Rhodes lifters make more noise they have been making them longer

and you will find more old timers choose them

because of this.

Tommy, you are right! I was to buy Rhodes lifters because they have a better reputation, but Summit was out of stock, so I went with Crane... wink.gif

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monty"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse"

http://go.to/Monte

Member NMCOA, FGMCC

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

• 2 weeks later...

I have the rhodes lifters in my 454 , along with a large crane hydraulic , 300/310 -525/565 ,they definately give you loads better vacuum , and better low end , but the noise from those things ,I think it sounds like a diesel , I ran 'em for 1 season , I am going to yank them in favor of a comp/cams 270 magnum cam and lifters.....Tim

------------------

i dont think there going to do much for your set up.there more for running a big cam with a lower comprion ratio to help restore vacuum and drive abilty at lower rpms.one thing you have to remember is chevy cam specs are weird and not taken like the after market.that cam is rather mild so i think you with have plenty of low end.

chris