rust around back window...best solution? w/pics

Im wondering what some of you think the best solution is to this type of problem?? Seems like a common spot for rust on old cars. Any non-bondo ways to fix this???

mc.jpg

mc1.jpg

mc2.jpg

mc4.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70MonteMadness (edited 03-07-2002).]

Welding in patch or replacement panels is always the best option.

Mine looked similar with less rustholes and only on the lower window part. Rust Converter, Epoxy Putty and a liberal coating of POR-15 did the trick for me.

But I have a vinyl top on mine... Did you?

------------------

71 Monte 383 "The Full Monte"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

akw.jpg

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

[This message has been edited by Andreas (edited 03-07-2002).]

Best solution for this type of problem? Hmmm...New Car? biggrin.gif Ducking and running away biggrin.gif

I've read about a couple of members here who have had this area restored in a body shop (one in this forum in particular). Others have used products like POR-15 to repair small holes/corrosuion. Just looking at the pics, I don't think that'll be a viable option for you, but I'm not trained in autobody repair. I think that 90% or more of GM A-Bodies of this vintage have this problem, I know mine does. I had an estimate done for JUST this repair that came to about $3k without knowing the extent of hte body work. Most of the cost was respray of the paint over the roof and back end. Granted I only got one estimate at the time, so it may be off. I'm putting it off until I have the whole body stripped down and restored in the short term future.

Andreas...Yes, it came with a vinyl top but didnt have it when I bought it..its gonna stay a hardtop...

I just found and bumped a thread where markSS454 was doing repairs to the decklid panel...year one makes a replacement panel for about $60...The corners around the window will have to be fabricated, but that sounds alot easier/cheaper than actually trying to repair the panel..

Im dreading seeing what it looks like underneath that panel!!

Other than that, theres not too much body work to do...Some surface rust and a hole here or there...aaarrgghh...the "Monte to-do list" just keeps getting bigger and bigger!!

My goal is to have most of the owrk I want done within the next year...We'll see if I can stay on schedule.

Originally posted by 70MonteMadness:

Im wondering what some of you think the best solution is to this type of problem?? Seems like a common spot for rust on old cars. Any non-bondo ways to fix this???

Go to SS454 forum and look for vinal top update and see what he went through.

------------------

George Lines

hey mrcash, I just mentioned that to a buddy yesterday...Im thinking about buying another 70 I came across, fixing IT up, then later down the road, attempt to convertiblize this one.

When I say "down the road", I pretty much mean 7-10 years, cuz thats how long Id have to save up to pay for the conversion. smile.gif

How cool would it be to cruise around in a monte convertible though??

George, I found that thread and bumped it up right after I posted this thread...Looks like its a real pain in the [you said a naughty!], but its gotta be done...

[This message has been edited by 70MonteMadness (edited 03-09-2002).]

I just finshed repairing the bottom window corners on mine. I went to a fabricating shop and had them cut me a piece of sheet metal 18 gauge in a 2 inch (approx) wide strip and bend it in half at 90 degrees. I cut one bottom corner out with a die grinder carefully. I then took the new metal and made several V cuts approximately 1/2 inch apart on the bottom side, so you can bend it and form it to the original shape. I then made sure the chrome would fit and began to slowly tack in the new piece with my mig continually checking the fit with the chrome trim. Once it was right I welded up each V groove on the bottom window frame with the mig and the upper lip (edge)on the deck lid. I had to do a little cleanup to make the corner edge nice and sharp once I welded it up. A little filler and it came out really nice. You can buy the small pins to hold the chrome clips on from OPG or any rod shop. It did take a little time but it was alot cheaper then having a bodyshop do it. I would recommend the new deck lid for yours it would save alot of troubles. smile.gif

------------------

Todd Tweed

Kamloops, B.C., Canada

ttweed@sprint.ca

Sounds like Todd 1972 has a great solution,

as well as, least costly. Then POR 15 the hell out of it and it'll 'never' rust again (under headliner too although I doubt rust is on inside of the top). Not replacing vinyl top solves "all" of the future rust problem as condensation caused rust in the first place.

------------------

Ed

'71 Black 400/700R4 must be run'n by May 28 to make show

'71 Saddle SS454 orginial

'71 Project, 2" chop planned