INTERIOR - tachometer

classic tachometer location is wrapped around the steering column, buy the tach and find a piece of big-[you said a naughty!] hose clamp... if you have a tilt column, be sure to mount it right up against the dash as far as possible so the column is free to move. Should note tho that no matter what the position here, the tach will either partially block the speedo or the fuel gauge. I always dictate speed by RPM anyways, so I don't look at the speedo. Another option is to install it where the factory clock is, if you wanna go through the process of finding the right one and taking the dash apart.

As far as the gauges, I have mine mounted where the factory radio used to be, just took out the sawzall and cut a neat square hole and put a gauge cluster in. Obviously if you wanna stay original this won't cut it tho. Alternately, you can mount them under the dash facing at an angle upwards and towards you, just to the right of where your knee is (that's where my CD deck is).

watch ebay. there's been guage clusters with wiring on there. you can search for "1970 Monte Carlo" or "1970 Chevelle" and you'll probably find some.

Another place to locate the tach is on the A-pillar. I did that on both my '71 Monte and '67 Firebird. Looks much better than having a big [you said a naughty!] ugly hose clamp around the column. It also doesn't block any of the factory gauges. In my Monte I installed a set of aftermarker gauges in the place of the idiot lights. I picked up a set of small gauges and modified an extra dash I had to accept them. To most people (non-Monte folks) the look is stock. I suppose with the right tach you could do the same in place of the clock. If anyone wants photos let me know.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 06-17-2001).]

I didn't really like the idea of a tach on the steering column (no offense to anyone who's done it, I just wanted it to look more factory). So I took my clock out and took it to a local instrument shop and had them convert it into a tach. I think it cost me $250, but I think it was worth it. They did an awesome job, and besides being in the wrong location, you can't tell it isn't stock. If anyone wants to see a pic of it, goto http://www.geocities.com/dlhanson.rm/MonteDash.jpg

If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Doug

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mbw71ss454:
is there any way i can install a tachometer and gage setup in place of fuel gage and dumy lites</font>

I purchased the 2" tach, made a bracket, then mounted it on the "A" pillar. I like this location because you can watch the tach and the road at the same time. I've also heard other drivers at stop lights comment about the tack location.
George Lines

Yes there is.

I am doing the same thing right now to my dash. I found a gauge dash for 200 bucks. and I traced all the wiring to the fuse block and mapped it. I then took each wire loose from the block and marked the location. since the purchased dash had the column shift I reused the backside off my dash. then swithched the tach/fuel gauge (three screws) then replaced the gauges on each end. cleaned it all up and will order a new printed circuit because neither one of mine is in good shape.....however be very very careful in messing with the cluster area...the plastic that everything is in is extremely sensitive to overtightening. and in general the plastic is brittle.

I took the dash i purchased and my old dash and had them set up on tables opposite each other so I could easily figure out what goes where....I prefer the factory look.

i found the dash locally through the want ads....all i can say is patience. one will come up and be the right price.

I did this swap back in 93 on my 70 monte carlo. A guy was parting out a 72 big block car with the factory tach and gauges and I bought them. All I had to do was switch around the wires in the plug in that plugs into the back of the panel. I also had to install a temperature sensor that was for gauges instead of an idiot light.

My ammeter doesn't work and I didn't hook up the oil light since I use an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I also bought a new printed circuit for the back since the one I had was in bad shape.

------------------

70 monte carlo, Fathom blue, 396/400 trans 12 bolt rear end.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bucs01:
Doug, would like to see your tach but the link does not work....

Hope to see it.

lon
</font>

Sorry about that, I still haven't figured out geocities and all their rules. Try this page (might have to copy/paste) http://www.geocities.com/dlhanson.rm/monte2.html
Click on any of the pics for a larger version.

Doug

Doug, is that a factory tach? I know its not the right location, but does it work with the MSD Ive been told you need a tach adapter from MSD,to make it work.

No, it's not a factory tach. It's actually a Stewart-Warner tach, with my clock face (repainted obviously) fitted to it. When I first had it done I just had a regular HEI ignition in the car. When I put an MSD 6AL on a year later, I took the tach back to him and he modified it by moving one wire. It only took like 30 seconds and I believe he said all he was doing was by-passing a resistor. I don't know if the stock one could be modified that easy or not. I'm sure he would know if you want his number.

thanks for all of your replies i will probably go with tigeraids tach location and put the guages on the bottom of the dash by my left knee behind the parking break release.