Is the plate that mounts the tilt column to the car different than a non tilt?

I just picked up a tilt column for my monte i installed it and noticed that the plate on top of the column will not match up to the holes, am I doing something wrong?, also is the ignition switch (little box on top of column where wires hook up)different?

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454 SOLD frown
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1981 ford f150 4x4
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)

ek_3.jpg

You can loosen the plate, if it is the one down by the fire wall and turn it until they line up. The plugs on mine were different, I tried to switch the boxes and the rod was not the right length. You have to look at the plugs, and figure out which way you need to turn both the plugs to fit on, it is not the way you took them off. You will also have to adjust your shifting linkage down at the transmission as the column arms have a different angle. Make sure you have on your parking brake and or have the wheels blocked as it may want to roll while you are adjusting the transmission linkage. Good Luck, Lloyd

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

site1100.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif

[This message has been edited by ADGTRUNKLID (edited 10-08-2002).]

I dont have to worry about the tranny yet, because there isnt one in there right now, the plate on the firewall fit fine im talking about the other plate that bolts from the 4 holes on the column to the two studs on the dash, it doesnt seem to line up and when i do line it up, the steering shft from the column to the box is too long

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454 SOLD frown
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1981 ford f150 4x4
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)

ek_3.jpg

That plate should be the same. You can easily take your old one off and put it on the new column, in fact it may be backwards, if you un bolt it and spin it around the other way it may work fine? I did not have any problem with mine although the shifter handle itself does have a different bend then the non tilt, for clearance.