Installing carpet question

V8Freak

That's what I thought but isnit ever tight! Having a hard time to get it up and under in passenger area. What should the overlap be? Or should it just be flush?

Matt, the replacement carpet I bought from the Parts Place was so over-sized on the front edge and both sides that it was clear it would have to be trimmed.  Rather than take a chance or have to due multiple trims, I used the old carpet as a pattern.  I removed the thick original padding from the back of the old carpet and laid it over the new carpet.  To index it, I used small finish nails pushed through both carpets all the way around the plastic foot pad on the driver's side.  After smoothing the old carpet over the new, I marked a trim line at the top edge and trimmed it there.  You can trim the sides now or wait until the top is in place.

NOTE: you want to have enough material to just tuck it under the firewall insulation and the kick panels, about 1/2" all around.  I used a putty knife to progressively tuck the trimmed edge up under the insulation and kick panels. Of course, you first have to remove the hard plastic kick panel behind the brake/clutch pedal(s) by removing the two bolts. Following are a couple of photos from the photo journal I made of my carpet replacement project.  You can see the rest of them at this LINK.

P1130119.jpg

P1130116.jpg

P1130132.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, I don't have the original carpet is was takin out years ago and it fell apart basically. But that helps forsure gives me an idea how to deal with the edges. Maybe I'll lay it where it sits nice and mark where I'll have to trim it but I'll leave just a bit extra I don't mind having to do that a few times to be safe