TH400 to 700R4 Swap in '72 Monte

Hi, I'm a new member, I'm wondering if anyone else can tell me what I have to have to swap a Turbo 400 tranny and make it a 700R4, all I have is the flexplate, and currently I don't even have the auto kickdown working on my car. I want a lockup type as well. I have 3:55 gears and an Eaton Posi unit, I figure someone out there has already done it and I can save the hassle of buying things that aren't right or not needed. Also I'm glad i joined the club, I really love my car, I hope the photos show up on the site soon, it's sweet looking & runs great.

go to 700r4.com also knew as bowtie overdrive them make a good trans. i have two of they stage two tans which handles up to 550hp. u cand use the same flex plate as the 400 ull move the crossmenber back in the frame. the one in my monte i moved to the back holes in my frame and used a 350 drive shaft. most of the 700r4 on the market is a lockup unit.if i remember right i believe a 700r4 from bowtie overdrive is 1500 and thats with a 2200 stall.

You will need some sort of lock up kit...I used the B &M one this way I can still race. Has a slide bar control panel with a led red and green on and off indication (2x3 inch in size) to control when and if you even want lock up at all. Runs off the speedo cable. Works great for me. Also like it because of less kick down at wider thottle opening for top speed capability.

Good luck with the switch, Jim

Thanks, The 700R4 website even has the calculator for the speedo gears, and Monzaz reply I'm looking at B&m has a TV cable kit, a Kickdown kit, Recalibration kit, Drain Plug Kit, and TCI has a Torque Converter Lockup kit, I wonder will I need a 700R4 Dipstick or do the Tranny's usually come with one? I'm also looking at a Perma Cool 3/4"X7 1/2"X15 1/2" Transmission Cooler. I also saw a heavy duty Transmission Mount, Can any of you e-mail me a photo of your linkage to your carb so I can check it out? I've got time, this won't happen for a month or two, I try to do my homework before I do things, I've learned the hard way! Thanks again

the 700r4 that bowtie overdrive sales have a lock up swtich plus the brakelight swtich to control it. the linkage for a 700r4 is just like the th350. if u do go with a trans cooler 700r4.com wants the fuild to run though the radtior then to the cooler and back to the trans.each kit they build has a shift kit and extar clutch packs in them the dipstick come with the trans.

• 5 months later...

If I were you I'd go on the Bowtie Overdrives website and E-mail or call them, 700R4.COM is one way to get there. The way they explained it to me if you have a TH350, you put a 700R4, if you have a TH400 you put a 2004R and don't have any major mods to deal with. I must say, I've been puttin' the wood to my Level 2 2004R, up to 465hp of tire smokin' ponies and the temp gauge i have on my trans only goes up to 190 degrees. I just love the service, the quality materials, and the know how they offered me. Better gas milage, better bottom end, all for about $2 g's, well worth the investment in my opinion. They'll know what yoke you'll need, all you need to know is what snap rings are on your U joints, inner or outer. Check e'm out on the web, good luck.