Superchargers????

jim's 70

• 2 weeks later...

Not personally, but my dyno shop has built several engines (mostly small blocks) and swear by a Pro Charger. I've seen some pretty impressive numbers for street cars that are driven every day to work and then go to the track on the weekends and rip off some pretty low et's.

Uncharted waters for me. Anyone ever play with them?? I have been looking at Prochargers, but I'll take whatever info is out there.

Jim

+

I was looking at the Pro Charger myself for quite awhile, I talked to them and did alot of research. Go to their site and request some info/catalog, it will have all their models on there, listing which one would be best for you with the motor you have in your car now. They give all the info on fuel requirements and everything in between.

You could simply put one of their modest supercharger models on your car without an intercooler and with not much boost and still get nice results. Or you could go all out with one of their huge models (I was gonna get the F2 model) an intercooler which takes alot of fabwork, a huge fuel line, high volume pump, etc, etc... eek

I think the centrifugal type of superchargers are the best seeing how they will fit under a stock hood.

Bill

The plan has changed slightly. I have decided to do the heads first (meaning now) and save for the supercharger over the summer....hopefully smile. Kinda pointless puttin a supercharger on if the heads don't flow. I am lookin at the procharger d1sc and trying to work an intercooler in somewhere for the added power/protection. By doing the heads now, I will also be upgrading the fuel and ignition syatems to be ready for it. It's going on a 72 454...so you know why I need heads lol...anyone got a set layin around??

Jim

When you are talking about a BB to me there is no such thing as a budget head. Forget trying to work the stockers. You will never get them to flow like a good set of aftermarket aluminum heads. I know they are expensive, but either AFR, or Dart full cnc heads are IMHO tough to beat. When you go to a race track east of the Mississippi you mostly see Dart heads on BB's and on the west side you see plenty of AFR heads. I run and highly recommend the AFR 315cnc heads for your plan. As cast 305's are to small for a supercharger and 325's, or 335cnc heads my be to big even with a supercharger. Call AFR they will steer you right. It's funny. A lot of places I go people have never heard of AFR. They seem to be fixated on one brand of heads. I've even had a few talk trash to me, that is until I pulled out my latest chasis dyno and then things got real quiet, or they just walked away. Mad in some cases. In the end it's all about budget and what you really need to acheive your performance goal. If you scimp, or don't do your homework you will spend even more in the long run. It happened to me. Build things yourself, or at least know who is doing your work very well. If not, good luck getting a shop to warranty something they did. I've found that a lot of machine shops are full of excuses for why the engine they built had an issue even if they put it in your car. Be careful out there and best of luck to you. BB Chevy's are awesome. Sorry Robin!