How do I remove my Pilot bearing and put it back in??

ChevroletR

I did a search, on here, no luck. So how do I remove my pilot bearing and when I put it back in do I lube the pilot bearing/bushing or intermediate shaft at all? Or put it in dry?

And is there suppose to be any play at all in the input shaft of my manual trans because mine has just the slightest bit of play, but I figured thats what the new pilot bearing is for, to keep it straight.

Lastly, on my pressure plate, there are only two bolt holes that bolt it to the flywheel that are tight around the bolts, all the other ones are a little more loose around the bolts, does this mean the pressure plate isn't going to be centered or does it center itself somehow? Thanks

Ryan Washington

www.RyansCustoms.com

To remove the pilot bearing, stuff the cavity full of grease then take a shaft just a little smaller than the bearing hole and tap it in. The grease behind it will easily pop the bearing out. Clean the grease out when done. Any excess left in there could eventually get on the clutch.

There will be a little play with the input shaft inside the bearing.

I have never used grease on the shaft.

I have never had a problem with just bolting a pressure plate to the flywheel. Never worried about it being centered.

Darn it George, I thought I was the only one who knew that trick!

Use thick grease and you may need to pack it several times to get the bushing out. You don't really need to grease the new bushing or the shaft. It sounds like a good idea, but the lube will spin out onto your new clutch. The bushing is made of OILITE, and it is a graphite-impregnated bronze and is designed to run dry.