Should it Kick Down or Not?

chuckash

Basically, my setup is a th350 with a B&M shift kit and a stock converter. The rear has 3.73 gears, the motor is a warmed over 400 sb.

The question I'm asking is while cruising down the road at about 60 mph, with the motor turning about 2600 or 2800 rpm, should the transmission kick down if I floor it or not?

I'm pretty sure that I have my linkage adjusted correctly so that the cable is pulled out at WOT, but it doesn't seem to go into "passing gear" under these circumstances. It will kick down if I'm doing about 45 and punch it, but not at around 60.

Any thoughts?

Charlie

My car has a TH350 w/3.73 also and I think its just tranny pressure is too high to let downshift, you may have to dip into the valve body to achieve downshifts you desire. Mine upshifts 1-2, 2-3 at 5000-5200 RPM as is and at 60 MPH w/ a stock 350 and 3.73's out back along with 275/60/15 it also will not kick down but it scoots right on up in the RPM's to not need to downshift

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got around to making an adjustment on the linkage - which it apparantly needed. At anything below about 60, it will kick down and really get up and go. Next thing you know, its chirping into third and at about 75 mph. All this in drive. But above 60, won't kick down.

What fun, though. I was grinning from ear to ear after the first drive after the adjustment.

Charlie

• 2 months later...

fat rat: you didn't post the whole link.. that link you posted takes you to the forum list.. not a specific post.

as for your downshifting.. You should at least be able to do a 3-2 downshift at that speed. and at 45mph you should get a 3-1 downshift when you whack to the floor.

I'll quote the specifics tomrorow when I can get home and read the th350 book for the exact numbers.

you might try an adjustable modulator, also try pulling the cable a bit tighter.. I had similar problems becuae I have an '86 TH350, with a 70-god-knows-what carb, and a 72 kickdown cable.. when I used the factory methods for setting the cable, I got no downshifts, and insanely early upshifts.. I just kept pulling the cable tigher and tighter till I got what I wanted from it.

now I need to adjust my adjustable modulator to move the wot shift speed up a bit more. (3500 rpm is too early) but I had it set that way cuz the last engine had questionable rod bearigns so I set it up to shift early to keep the bottom end together smile