console shift cable hook up

cbolt

I'm getting ready to shift from a column shift to a console, and have everything I need, I think, but don't quite know how the brackets are installed and the cable is routed. Does anyone have pics or just an explaination of how the brackets sit physically in the car and how the cable attaches to the shift lever. Thanks.

Jim

• 2 months later...

Are we talking about a TH350 hook up? Do you have a stock console, if so use it to position your shifter, by this I mean mock it up in the car where you want the console and shifter to sit when installed. Set the shifter in the neutral position and align the console shift plate to match at the `N' . Now carefully remove the console not disturbing the shifter and mark the mounting holes on the trans hump. Attach the shifter temporarily with two sheet metal screws, now install the cable on the shifter and approximate where it will need to go throught the hump, drill an appropriate hole in that location, run cable thru. Attach the cable mounting plate to 2 of the trans pan bolts (not sure witch ones, use cable to help locate) You'll need to remove the existing column shift hardware.

Attach console shift hardware to trans, attach cable. make sure trans lever is in same gear as selector when attaching. I hope this gives you some idea of how to do this, I am posting this from memory. A factory assembly manual or Haynes book would be a great investment at this point. Good luck, Bob