Trans ID

kc8oye

anyone know what transmission(s) would have come behind a diesel powered towtruck? the truck is a factory-built tow truck.. '98 chevy.

a buddy of mine got it.. and replaced the entire cab and nose with a TBI 350.. electronics and all.. but now the shifter doesnt' work so we're tryin to figure out what aftermarket floor shifter to use... and if it's a 4L80e he's gonna need an aftermarket controller too.

If its a 4L80 and hes using new electronics that doesnt work with it its A LOT of money to use it.... The stand alone computers to operate it are over 1k.... I went to a manual shift for that reason... but the people I had do it made it a "hybird" it is manual but can still be hooked up to the computer and be computer controlled also.. The shifter you can use a 4 speed shifter and just bolt the linkage up like you would any other trans...

Tom

yeow.. you aren't kidding about the prices.... i think he'll be looking for a 700r4 LOL

or at least a non-electronic 4l80 if it is electronic.

so a700r4 cable shifter will work with the 4l80?