TH-400 problems

I have rebuilt many TH-400's but have never had any problems until now. I have 1st gear with no shift into 2nd and it freewheels when I let off. I can feel it go into reverse but it does not move. I have the valve body off and the bands are on the pegs. The springs on the servos are correct. All the valves in the body move freely. The balls are in the correct ports. The trans is still in the car. Can any experienced trans guys offer any help.

George, my tech manual shows only one area that might cause both of the symptoms you describe: (no reverse, and no engine braking in first gear) They say to check the rear servo and oil seal ring, bore or piston damaged, or a short band apply pin.

George, my tech manual shows only one area that might cause both of the symptoms you describe: (no reverse, and no engine braking in first gear) They say to check the rear servo and oil seal ring, bore or piston damaged, or a short band apply pin.

I will give a closer inspection. I don't recall changing the band apply pin and it was working before, but, I'm getting older and ???? ("what the hell was THAT"). That was my idea that the rear band wasn't sitting on the pegs. I will look in my spare parts to see if there is a longer pin.

Checked it out and the rear servo seal was a loose fit. Shoved it back in there with a new seal and checked to se if it was engaging the band. OK. So now it is back together but still on stands. Had it to 80 in drive then shifted it down with spedo responding in 3 gears. Reverse also works. Still not trusting because of so many problems until I put the tires to the pavement. Feeling easier tonight though. Thanks for the info Wallaby. I suspected something with the rear band, but just couldn't find it. Something so small overlooked.

Got what I wanted to get done today, so I fired it up and took off for the freeway. In drive it would only get to 2nd so I hit overdrive to lower RPM. It was also freewheeling when I let off. Was acting like it was out of gas but regestering 1/2 tank. It shifted into 3rd a few miles down the road, but gas problem got worse so I headed for an off ramp. Didn't get far and puled into a parking lot. Walked to a station and had to buy a 2 gal can and full of gas. $18+ shot. Started car, no reverse, but was able to get out anyway. Headed to station and while sitting there it ran out of gas, but no, electric fuel quit. Had to call son to get me back to my truck and tow bar and spare pump. Not a fun evening. Still not sure on what symptoms are concerning trans or what it will do tomorrow.

confuseddevil