Wanted: TH350 Rebuild Help ...

Mike Brichta

Well, I finally got up enough nerve and decided to do it .. rebuild my TH350 trans and now I need some help and have some questions. My trans went bad a few months ago and when I took it to get rebuilt, my trans guy showed me that many of the major componants were worn too badly to use again. So, essentially I had four boxes of parts and a housing case for spare parts. Yesterday I purchased a second used TH350 for $40 that the guy said was in perfect working condition out of a 72 Chevy truck. I know the tailshaft was longer for the truck TH350, but as long as the rest was ok, then I could swap it if I ever did the rebuild. So I decided that I would be daring and take the truck TH350 completely apart and see how it was inside. Well, I'm no expert in this, but everything looked very good. No metal filings inside, not much dirt, pretty clean and no real surprises. Then I took all of the good parts from both and made 1 good version. The procedure didn't look too bad, so I am going to go ahead and take it all apart again and put a rebuild kit in it.

Here are some of my questions:

1) What is a good rebuild kit to use? Previously, my trans guy used the TCI TH350 kit from Summit for around $200. Is that a good choice?

2) Do I purchase the shift kit seperately from the rebuild kit or can I get them all in the saem kit? If seperately, what is a good shift kit to buy?

3) Can anyone recommend a good reference book to buy for rebuilding the TH350? I know they have many books on the 350 small block rebuilds, but is there one for the TH350 trans?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!! Wish me luck!!

Mike

this guy on ebay has everything you need including a video and book on rebuilding the 350 tranny he will probalbly give you a package deal you just need to ask him for the shift kit get a transgos kit they are a lot better than the cheap ones and dont shorten the life of the tranny for the rebuild get the high performance kit it is just like the tci kit but about 50 dollars cheaper

http://stores.ebay.com/MURPHY-AUTOMOTIVE...displayZ2QQtZkm