Found a Carter quadrajet in my stash

Guest Patrickth

Guest Patrickth

I can't remember where it came from and wonder if anyone else has a Carter Quadrajet. I am having trouble with the numbers, they don't seem right.

I have a possible 704 3620

At the foot of the carb appears to be 260 and then a space and a 1. It is a four barrel. It might have been on the Monte that caught fire, but I just can't remember off hand.

I was just looking up numbers on my carb yesterday. I have a Rochester Qudra Jet. The numbers on mine are 7041200 FA and then below that is 0681.

It decodes this way. 70 is the prefix you will find on all Rochesters built from 70 through 75. I think this holds true for the Carter built carbs as well. The 4 represents the decade the carb was produced meaning the carb was produced for the 70 through 75 production models. The 1 stands for the actual year the carb was produced in my case 1971. The 2 indicates the actual model of the carb. In my case it stands for Quadrajet carburator (4bbl) Federal Standards. The first 0 means Chevrolet Division. A 1 or 2 in this posistion would mean the same thing.

The last 0 refers to the transmission in the car. Even numbers here indicate a automatic transmission while a odd number would indicate a manual transmission.The FA is the customer code that was used by Rochester.There are no records that exist to correlate these letters to a specific plant.However you should find this same letter combination on your build sheet should you have one.

The 0681 is the actual day the carb was manufactured. The first 3 digits indicate the exact day of the year. The last digit denotes the year. So in my case the carb was built on the 68th day of the year in 1971. Which is actaullly after the body build date on my cowl tag which might mean I do not have the original carb in my car.

I am quite certain Carter numbers would decode the same way. From what I can see the 3620 number does not line up with any of the numbers in my reference. You might want to double check. Take a bit of steel wool and buff it up a bit. The closest number I can find is 7042220 which would indicate a 1972 Monte Carlo, 402 240hp with a automatic transmission.

Guest Patrickth

Thanks. I know I have to recheck the numbers. The 72 makes more sense as I have had several of those and put Edelbrocks on them. I am not going to be a fanatic about exact numbers, but if I can get them to match the sheet and such I am going to do that for sure.

One good thing. I have some trading stock anyway. That will save me some money somewhere along the line.