Hot Tranny

I have a 4 speed overdrive transmission in my monte, I've got the lines running to the radiator which is new, then to a 10 1/2" X 21" auxillary cooler with a built in 10" fan with 1250 CFM, The fan says it will drop the temp by 95 degrees, but it only dropped 10, what size lines should I have from the trans to the cooler? Larger than stock? Anyone know what to do please tell me.

If you are still using the cooler in the radiator, the fluid should pass through it first. The best your radiator cooler can do is lower your trans temp to equal the water temp. Most of the time it won't work that well even...So once the trans fluid comes out of the radiator cooler (at say, 180 degrees) it can then go thru your aftermarket cooler which at best can lower the temp to equal the outside air temp.

If you have it plumbed the other way, the radiator can actually ADD heat to the fluid your aftermarket cooler has processed.

I checked the lines and they seem to be right, but the cooler is behind the radiator because there's no room in front of it to put a cooler of any size. is that a problem. Plus I'm in texas, I know the temp should be 150-165 degrees but the air temp is 105 and the road temp is even hotter.What else can I check for. Oh, I'm running a 160 Degree thermostat too, it runs about 160 to 190 anyway

I found a site that has new transmission cooling lines for monte's for $45 a set so I'll order those just to have new ones. I've got 3 coolers, one is a 6 pass, one is a 4 pass, and the big 6 pass that's 1 1/2" thick with the fan unit is installed the other two in the garage. I'm thinking about adding the 4 or 6 to the front side of the radiator but that just seems too excessive. It's a 2400 rpm stall converter, do they run hotter than stock? I wonder what other people's set ups are, maybe one i can copy? And on the cooler lines I didn't find any that were larger diameter either, only stock sizes.

The stall is going to create heat to an extent, more if your rear gearing keeps your RPM's way lower at cruise RPM. Eg.1800-2000RPM cruise with a 24-2600 stall....it will be slipping a little causing heat.

• 3 weeks later...

i would definatly try to get the trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. if its mounted behind the radiator, the air blowing through the radiator will be hotter when it hits the trans cooler.

also, 5/16 or 3/8 line is fine. if you use any rubber hose, make sure its "transmission hose".

regular fuel hose will swell up and balloon after a while.