floor pan mods are done.

kc8oye

ok.. first off, there is to be NO laughing at my welds.. (at least not out loud anyway)

I had to modify the floor pan to give me access to the govenor in my 700r4.. it normally required dropping the rear crossmember to get access to it, and that's a LOT of work for something I need to be able to access repeatedly while 'tuning' the shift points.

so I cut the floor out, flipped the piece over, welded it back in, and added some side panels to make a relief that gives me room to get to the govenor.. here's the pics.

It's not the greatest angle or shot, but you can see the problem with the clearance between the trans and floorpan. I don't think it was rubbing, but i never really thought to look. while I was working on the sheetmetal.

govenor.jpg

This is where the hole will be, I drilled two small holes from underneath to establish where I needed to cut, then roughed in the outline with with my soapstone pen.

floor_before.jpg

Here you can see how I will be making room...

floor_access.jpg

Basicly, I just cut the piece out, flipped over, hammered on it just a bit to make it fit a little better, and welded it back in. After welding the top and bottom edges, I slipped a piece of cardboard down the side, traced the two curves with a sharpie pen, cut the cardboard out, re-traced the lines onto some 16ga sheet metal I had, cut THAT out, and then welded them in to make the 'end panels'

floor_during.jpg

Here it is done, with a quick coat of Rust Oleum primer and gloss white (I used what I had on the shelf)

floor_done.jpg

i figured someone would notice that :>

I'm bad for not using grommets...

I need to find a supplier for grommets that are similar to the speedo cable grommet, so that I can have a hole big enough to get the connector on the end of those wires thru it, but still be weather tight around the wires.

those wires are for my lock up torque converter. one is just a ground wire, the other is a switched and fused wire.

my th350c had to have a ground wire. on the 700r4 i don't think it does anything.