Axle Info

I don't know too much about axles. I'm curious about the differences between all the axle companies products, such as Moser, Dana, etc. What are the better ones and why? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The material used to make the axles is what makes them better or worse. We have all these fancy mixes of metal now to make them stronger. They all have fun numbers..like 4130 and such..lol alot of the stock axles were only external flame hardened. Now they have fully forged axles if you want. Remember strength comes with a price $$$. smile

One particular area of attention is the part of the axle which serves double duty as part of the axle bearing. That surface should be at least hardened steel on good axles...

• 5 months later...

I've been installing Moser axles for many years now and I've not seen one fail yet. The Mark Williams, Strange and other racing axles don't seem to hold up on the street, but these companys have come out with some new axles that are suppose to be street worthy. I just like the Moser axles. As for Dana, they are an OEM manufacturer. You can also get axles for your Chevy that use the 9 inch Ford axle bearings and eliminate the c clips. You have to weld on special housing ends to use them, but you can retain the Chevy brakes. These are much better than the c clip eliminators.

I'll agree Moser makes the best axles on the market! They have a propritory alloy that makes them very tuff. If you upgrade your 12 bolt to a 33 spline axle and carrier with c-clip eleminators the axles will come with a 10 replacement warranty against excessive horsepower breakage! Free replacement all you pay for is shipping! Have had many 35 spline axles replaced over the years, I live close its only a 40 min drive to the plant from here I call them give them the job# of the broken axle and drop off the bad one pick up the new one next day.

Don