94 Beretta trans problems

Reaper

Hey guys back at ya with another off the subject car question... My cousins Berettas transmission may or may not have went out on him.. what Im wondering is, is there anything I could check to see if it could be another problem... What he says is he was driving the car and it just decided it didnt want to go anywhere at a light... I havent looked at it yet but Im going in about 20 mins... He said there was no real problems with the trans before it just decided not to do anything... Also I was wondering if any of you knew how big of a pain it would be to replace the trans. Thanks a bunch!!

Tom

Well I just got back from checking out the beretta.. seems the drive gear is what snapped... I put the trans into all five gears and it made a noise that sounded something like the trans was turning... The caseing is completely broke apart around the drive gear... Would the entire drive train need to be replaced?

I know this might be hard to answer without seeing it....

Thanks for any input, Tom

Working on front wheel drive transmissions is a major pain. The phrase "Please don't try this at home, we are trained professionals" come to mind. The transmission can be removed with the engine in the car, but the engine needs to be supported while you work on the trans. Find out what the cost of the job is at a trans shop and compare the cost of buying the parts and doing it yourself. You will need a good book to read and follow if you try this. Probably be cheaper to just replace the car. It would definetly be easier. laugh