handling vs. asthetics

Guest jordanthegimp

Guest jordanthegimp

at what point does handling and looks meet? what i mean is what wheel/ tire size do we need to optimize to get best handling & ride characteristics. you see alot of pro touring styled cars that have 18,19 inch wheels. makes me think that at somepoint you wont see anymore benefit to the larger size because for every 6lbs of unsprung weight you will lose 1 whp, then you are affecting handling characteristics.

thoughts?

-Jordan

Jordan I guess it really depends on where you're going with the car. Ride vs handling, cornering vs straight line, the new dumped big wheel look or a traditional classic look. I would choose the ultimate look for you and then back into the goods that will make it work.

There is some best of both worlds in the various looks and it sounds like you have done some research so picking the right combinations will be your key. There are others here who have a lot more knowledge than I on these things so I know you will get some good info.

As for me I would not put anything bigger that a 17" wheel on a Monte for asthetics but that's just me. My experience with super low profile tires has not been good (harsh ride and some reliability issues). The low profile will give you better handling with less side wall flex.....JMO...Dave grin

Guest jordanthegimp

i agree i dont think any bigger than 17 looks good and i think thats where your best tires are at. im looking for best ride. to compliment sc&c stage 2

I'm struggling with the same question. It would be great if there was a way to test drive some wheels and tires for a few days without spending all that cash on wheels that look good but make the ride too harsh. I went to a few junkyards to see if they had any ideas on 17" or 18" cheap ugly rims. No luck. Probably stick with the 15" stock wheels with wire hubcabs. Problem is that I have owned the car for 10 years and have never replaced the tires. It stays in the garage except for the few hundred miles a year I drive it so it is not exposed to the weather, but I don't know what the previous owner did.