new hardware

monte70car

I have some new hardware which should be here tomorrow evening. Should I the cd for it before I put it in or put it in and then the cd? This is on a new video card.

My other item is a new USB mouse should I run it's disk then hook the mouse up?

Normally everything is plug and pray (play). Once you turn off the computer to install the video card, the windows tell you new equipment installed, (duhhh) and then it will will ask you to install software or use the windows generic drivers, choose to use the drivers for the card you bought. I am not sure what your doing with the other video card, but you will have to turn off the onboard video card if you have one, or are you just replacing an old card? As far as the USB mouse goes, you should be able to plug that bad boy in, and it will start working, unless you are using a computer from the Apollo days.

Kevin

I'm replacing the old winfast card that came with my original mother board. The onboard card doesn't work with my screen. And my current card doesn't get along with computer games, its the only part of my home built system not up to par. Everything but graphics and gaming graphics are not 5(2.7), everything else is 5 or higher.

Normally when installing a video card, I uninstall the old one first, restart to ensure it is removed from the device list and then shut down and replace the card. When you boot up in windows for the first time it will usually ask you to search for drivers. In most cases, I cancel that request and put in the CD that came with the card and install that way. If the card you purchased is an older card or has been out for a while, I would suggest downloading the newest drivers from the manufacturer first.

I agree with Allan about the mouse. You can plug it in first and pop the cd in and install that way.

After i put the card in i refresh my score on vista. Original with te Winfast card my low score was 2.7 for graphics running windows areo, and that was a 3-d card. Since i put the ASUS en9400gt in my score went to 5.0 with graphics for areo being low. So a jump by 2.3 is pretty good. Also noticed the computer to run a little faster with this card.

Very nice jump. I have 3 5.9's and 2 5.6's. Seems I may need to upgrade the processor. Unfortunately, my motherboard doesnt support newer quad cores so I dont think I will be doing that any time soon.

I have been a bit fan of ASUS motherboards and I am happy with the hardware. Currently I run a P5N-E SLI board with a Core 2 Duo E6750 overclocked to 3ghz, 4GB of Corsair 800mhz DDR2 ram, 2x BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB graphics cards and 3 hard drives, 2 of which are in a RAID 0 array.

I built this one for gaming and only bought new parts this time. I learned from my first computer build that used parts may not last long.

My started out as a cheap home built computer. Got a Tsunami Dream tower, Winfast mother board and 3-d graphic card, cheap sound blaster card(which is still kicking butt), and a intel cpu, and cheap cd-rom's, my 3.5" disk drive never worked. Last year i stepped up to this mother board ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD, 2 sticks of 2gb of ram, APEVIA ICEBERG ATX-IB680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply,AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor, added a dvd light scribe drive and a sony cd-r drive. I still run a ps port keyboard used to have wireless but it went though battiers like crazy.

Yeah I havent been a fan of wireless devices on desktop computers. I mean, your right there all the time anyways, why do you need less cords. I also wouldnt want to have my batteries die in the middle of a match. (I'm part of an online gaming group).