Gas Tank and Cap Question

TommyP

Well I guess that I have another question. This question has to do with my gas tank and gas cap. I removed my gas tank several years back and had a sump welded on the tank so I could run a bigger fuel line. When I reinstalled the tank I disconnected and plugged all the stock lines going into the tank. I think there is one line on each side and three in the middle. I wasn’t too worried about a vent because the gas cap that I’ve been using is a loose fitting locking type that came with the car. Well I want to switch over to a tighter fitting cap because if I get the tank too full now gas leaks out around the cap when accelerating. I ended up getting a gas cap a while back off eBay it’s a Stant G 807 I’m not sure if I need to vent the tank now to use this cap. The cap says on it Pressure and Vacuum so I think that it’s a sealed one. When I search it on the Stant’s web site I can’t get anything to come up maybe because it’s so old. Sorry for being so long winded. Tom

I can solve the problem........slow down!!! laugh J/K

Tom I think you can use some type of one way vent that you can plumb into the one of the original vent/emissions tank fittings. I think Jegs or Summit has something you can use or one of the places that cater to the roundy round guys. I have heard of some people that have drilled a very small hole in the cap to help vent.

David

David, I'm not sure slowing down is a option laugh Part of the reason that I'm changing it is so I can get more gas in the tank for long distance driving like maybe a slow fall color tour, or maybe dragweek........

72 tanks use _NON_ vented caps. you must supply your own vent into the tank somewhere (Any one of those unused fittings will work)

i put a hose on one of the fittings and ran it up to the top of my axle arch and secured it to the car.. worked awesome and never gave me trouble.