ccleaner Cleans temp files, history, etc.

714024SP

Our IT guy hooked me up with this. It's free. I use it on my home and work PC about every other day and have had no problems. Amazing how much junk builds up in there! One down side though, you have to login again on anything with a password. I haven't been brave enough to let it play with my registry yet. eek

ccleaner

If you go to "Options", then "Cookies", it comes up with a window which lets you select "cookies" you want to keep. Once you figure out what they are called, you can keep them whenever you do a cleanup so that you don't loose your passwords.

I agree with you Allan as far as using programs to mass wipe out things like cookies and temp files though in this case I could not get into any programs like regedit or msconfig to make any changes. I had a nasty trojan that was blocking all my attempts to remove it and I suppose because ccleaner was not on its block list is why I could install it. It was blocking my antivirus, hijackthis, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, task manager and a lot of others. Normally I just find the registry entries that are the problem and remove them that way. That way I get to know my registry better and know what is being removed. As far as temp files, I go through them manually and only delete what I know I have removed. I am far from a seasoned IT guy though. Everything I have learned to do so far has been from web searches and asking questions.