how big can you go

monte70car

if you take it more than .060 you're going to get into a bunch of non-standard expensive parts(most only go .030 = 355). I personally don't know anyone who has gone farther than 60.....you have to go with a crank to make them bigger..... grin

I was thinking of a nice 396 small block was doing some reading on it. Looks like they want a .030 over bore then a 383 crank with .125 on the crank. But there is problems with when clancing the block for the rods. But they make over 850hp :wow:

I was thinking of a nice 396 small block was doing some reading on it. Looks like they want a .030 over bore then a 383 crank with .125 on the crank. But there is problems with when clancing the block for the rods. But they make over 850hp :wow:

850hp would be a pretty radical motor Rob. The shop I use just built a mild 427 with a 671 that made 850 but that was at the flywheel. The crank that is used in most 383's is a sb 400 crank in a .030 over 350 block. You have to notch the pan rails along the bottom of the block to clear the rods. Pretty sure anything bigger than a 406 would require an aftermarket block like dbreese (Dave) just bought. Both the 427 and a 454 I know of were built with a World Products block (they also required special cams because of the raised cam position)... grin

Originally Posted By: monte70car

850hp would be a pretty radical motor Rob. The shop I use just built a mild 427 with a 671 that made 850 but that was at the flywheel. The crank that is used in most 383's is a sb 400 crank in a .030 over 350 block. You have to notch the pan rails along the bottom of the block to clear the rods. Pretty sure anything bigger than a 406 would require an aftermarket block like dbreese (Dave) just bought. Both the 427 and a 454 I know of were built with a World Products block (they also required special cams because of the raised cam position)... grin

4.200 max bore x max stroke 4.00 x 8 = 443.4 ci. Thats what could be done with the Motown block I have.

David

David