12 bolt

Chevyss

Just need information on what a 12 bolt out of my 1970 would be worth. I'm thinking (that's dangerous) of going with a S60 rear drive for the car. If I can get enough out of my stock rear end I'll go for it. It's 12 8.5 I believe w/3.73 Auburn posi, richmond gears, C-clip elimintors. Has about 1500 miles on it. These are not hard miles either. It's been since I installed the engine and trans. Never run on the track it. Anyone interested, PM me. I will also have the 700R4 for sale. Thanks in advance

Just to throw this out there, a good working 3.73 12 bolt posi should sell for around $1200. Not gonna get you your S60(sounds like a Volvo). Two other things. One, why get out of a rear gear that with good axles will do 550 hp all day long. Second, try posting this in the classifieds.

Andy

Andy;

I know that the 12 bolt is strong, but just want to build it as strong as I can just in case. I may in the future run more HP, but guess I could upgrade then Right?? Can a person just get axles that will fit that rearend? What kind and will they all fit the C-clip eliminators?? If I were to go that route how woudl I tell what spline axles I have??

The 12 bolt weakest link has always been the tapered axles. All A,B,and F body 12 bolts are 30 spline stock. You can upgrade the side gears and go 33 but unless you have that Sonny Lernard 640, 30 works. The C-Clip emininators are just pressed on bearings with plates that bolt to your stock backing plate bolts. You do generally have to cut about 3/4 of an inch off the axle tube, making it non reverasable, but hey, they is something to be said when you do pop an axle, but you get to keep the rim.

Andy