Routers

monte70car

Allan see if you can figure this one out. I came home from class tonight and my network was down, couldn't get in using my password so I reset the router. Once it was reset I can't get in using the ip address to change the factory setting. Any ideas on whats going on?

If you set the router to a factory default depending on the model of the router it's IP should be 192.168.1.1 that is most Vendors such as Lynksis and NetGear's default IP address...They generally also use "enable DHCP" as a default meaning the router tells your computer what IP address to use.

Secondly, if your computer has not been rebooted then it possibly will still have the old IP address from before your resetting of the router to factory defaults. Thus you will not be able to connect to the router.

To fix that, click start > run

Type CMD then press enter

In the DOS window type ipconfig /renew

To see if it changed the IP address of your computer using the same command prompt window type: ipconfig /all and press enter.

It should return your Current IP address Subnet mask and Default Gateway.

The IP addess should now be 192.168.1.x

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gatway 192.168.1.1

Then you can try to connect to the router again using a Internet Browser and typing in the address of http://192.168.1.1

Hope this helps....