200-4R shift problem

bdk70monte

So after having a 200-4R transmission out of an 85 Monte Carlo SS rebuilt by a knowledgable transmission shop, my brother and I got it installed this weekend. Everything seems to be on the up and up and we started doing the TV cable adjustments. It looks to be close to where it should be but the problem is at best we are getting into 3rd gear and it slips and just revs when trying to shift into overdrive. We've done several test runs up and down the road to no avail. I plan to call the trans shop and see what they think we should try next but I thought I would throw something out here in case anyone has any ideas or experience here.

I am currently running a ZZ4 350 Fast Burn 385HP motor. The trans has been set up with all the right hardened parts to handle the HP and future torque. I'm running a 670 cfm Holley Street Avenger carb. We did install the carb bracket for a Holley to set the TV cable. Let me know if you need to know anything else about the set up. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Ben

I would hold off on driving it until you can check/verify the

line pressure. If it is not correct, you can ruin that tranny

pretty quick. I have heard of them toasting with less than 2

miles.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Yeah we had loaned out the line pressure gauge to a friend so we're going to get that back this week. I'm not driving it hardcore, just testing to see if it shifts. Other than checking the line pressure and continuing to play with the TV cable adjustment to find the sweet spot, I wasn't sure what else to try so thought I'd ask around here.

the tv cable is very easy to set up if you have the correct parts. Get a tv made easy kit from bowtieoverdrives. its as simple as pressing the pedal to the floor to set it then. You will know the tv is set correctly when the line pressure jumps immediately as you touch the pedal. The tension of the tv spring controls the pressure, and it can be modified with spacers if needed, providing you have the correct spring to begin with.

Duder, I set all 200/700 transmission up with a gauge before they get the first test drive.

Just an FYI. Had a guy a few years ago have me install a Bowtie Overdrives 700 in his 55 Chevy. Ran perfect. On his own he replaced the Holley with a Eddy and fudged his TV adjustment. Within 100 miles the trans was toast. By the time he figured out there was an issue, his idle line pressure was 6 pounds, smoking the pump.

Bowtie told him to go away, I told him I do not warranty other peoples parts.

All in all he got hit with a $900 bill to go through a 400 mile unit.

Andy

Just to give an update, ended up pulling the trans and taking back to the shop on the advice of the builder. He looked it all over. The 3rd gear clutches and band were fried from the test drive. He also changed a few things on the set up. Switched out the servo and adjusted some things with the shift kit. Great guy to work with. No charge for anything.

Took it back home, put it back in the car. Set the TV cable back up again. Go for a test drive down the road, shifts into all 4 gears smile Stop and go a few times to make sure everything seems good. The beauty of country roads. On the way back after it shifts into overdrive, punch it and it kicks down into 3rd just as it should. Pull back into the house, get the GPS to test the speedo and do it again. It's off, but should be able to correct with different speedo gears. Cruising at highway speeds now at 2400 RPM, which is exactly what I wanted. So somewhere between the changes he made in the setup and us setting the TV cable up again it all came together.

Called the trans guy up today and thanked him for all of his help. I'll definitely go back to him if I ever have any tranny issues in the future.