Rear axle ratio

ThirdMC

Hi guys, new to the forum even though I've been checking it out for a while. Finally joined when I was able to locate and buy another Monte Carlo. (Just brought it home yesterday after having to drive it from Columbus OH. to Meridian, MS.)I know I've seen the answer to this question on here before but can't seem to find it again. Where on the rear axle do I find the code to determine rear ratio?

Thanks for the help....

The rear axle identification code consists of a three letter prefix (two letters in '71 and '72) indicating the gear ratio, four digits indicating the assembly date as month/day, and a single letter suffix indicating the manufacturing location (again slightly different in '71 and '72). The identification code should be stamped on the bottom or font of right axle tube either adjacent to the carrier housing or about 8" - 10" inboard from the backing plates.

If you tell me the year, I'll post the codes.

~ Z

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, forgot to respond to his request. By the way, that's my buddy Dale's website (www.ChevelleStuff.com). Great info there. He's really done his homework. He's the guy that I have been working with to try to decipher certain parts of build sheets.

~ Z