Which Distributor Gear?

72 LS5

Time to start thinking of which distributor gear to use in the 502. I have a low-mile HEI from a ZZ4 motor, which has the melonized gear, but since its been run on a couple of motors including my non-roller 454, I figured I should be safe and change the gear out.

I need a gear for a regular factory roller cam, but I've heard of the GM melonized gears failing. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks Mike - which are you using?

I believe Dave sent me a link to the Chevelle site where some dudes had the factory gear crap out on them. Normally I'm all about the factory stuff, but I'm a little leery after reading some posts.

THEN AGAIN - blogs usually exaggerate bad news. All the people who have had no issues with the GM gear would have no reason to post! crazy

I run a billet roller with a cast iron gear pressed and pinned onto the stick. That way I do not need to worry about the distributor gear. I run the one that came on the MSD I think it is a melonized one.

the melonized gear should be fine Mike. I think the Chevelle forum was complaining about composite gears..if you decide to go brass make sure it has a 00 stamped in the bottom....thems the good ones....Dave

Thanks guys!

Dave - I still haven't put the flexplate on yet. Hopefully this weekend. Think about how much you want for it. Can't wait to get this thing together!