Help with friend's 72 c-10

LuckyKenny

It's a 350 from a vette with a 700r4

We're both pretty sure it's got stock heads and everything.

It has a 4 bbl holley and an eldebrock intake.

He gets literally 5 mpg and drives like an old man.

I get about 3 times better mpg's with a stroker, quuadrajet, preformer intake and cam, and new heads.

What's his problem?

stock heads 4bbl?

Help??

what rear gears?

what rpm's at say 40 or 50 mph?

he has checked for fuel leaks? Scoot the seat forward and check

real good under the tank. Does he have the saddle bag side tanks?

Does he have a tranny temp gauge? Could be slipping excessively.

What timing does he run? Does the distributor have vacuum advance and is it hooked up and working. What do the plugs look like? Have the floats be adjusted? With the air cleaner off do you see fuel dripping off the boosters. How old is the carb does it have the check valve to prevent the power valve from being damaged from a backfire. What kind of choke does he run and is it working properly?

Just a few questions, just like homework, no magic answers!

Okay

"ummmmmmm........timing... it wasnt adjusted to run on premium so i am juessing that the timing is the same as it was 60 years ago. distributer does have a vacuum advance....dont know if it actually is working. it is hooked up. the plugs are brand new. the floats have been adjusted reciently. i dont know what the boosters are. dont know what a check valve is, carb is like 25 years old. been rebuilt about 1 year ago. Choke???? it has a electric choke that doesnt really work....at all. dont know what ratio the rear end is. 5 speed overdrive tranny.rpm at 50: 1300-1400. the fuel tank is inside the cab of the truck so if it had a leak i would probably smell a lot of gas. i can smell a little in the cab but not a lot. probably do have a gas leak because the tank filler cap doesnt seal the tank properly because the idiot who had the truck before me who also drilled holes inside the cab for a gun rack, he had a locking fuel cap and lost the key to it and took pliers and wrenched it off so the filler is bent. no tranny temp guage but wouldnt you notice the slippage in the rpms??? it does skip 3rd gear. and shift way early in all the other gears. rpms never reach 1500 except in 5th. i just replaced both front calipers because i jacked up my front end the other day and found out that my tires wouldnt spin. took a lot of strength to just turn the tires. that might be part of the reason for the [you said a naughty!] gas milage..dont know yet if the milage improved because i havent drove it. had to take out the rotten break lines and my whole drive shaft because of a blown out universal and midbearing."