M20 4spd truck bellhousing

daveyboanz

Hi all

I have a 70 monte with a 350 and a glide and i want to do a 4sp swap to it i have an m20 all the shifter linkage,and a hurst competition plus shifter and a bell housing from a pick up truck.The only way i knew i had the truck bellhousing was to decode the numbers on it.I have had people tell me it is no big deal to use it in the swap just use the larger flywheel the 168 tooth instead of the 153 they tell me it bolts right up with no issues,a couple of people told me with the bigger flywheel you can use a bigger clutch, however i don't know if that means i have to put a different starter in it or if im gonna have to change the nose cone of the starter. I would really like to have everything right before i take anything apart i don't need to have to put everything back because i dont have the right stuff or have to scrounge for parts while my car is out of commission, if anyone here has done this before any help you could give me i would appreciate .

thanks a lot

Dave

Dave, the big issue witj a "truck" bellhousing is isually the pilot hole is around a half inch bigger. That is where the from of the Munchie centers on the front bearing housing. 621s are the bells that take the 11 inch clutch and have the right size hole. Most others are smaller and you can only get the 10.5 clutch and the 153 tooth flywheel. The 621s are $150 pretty much anywhere you go repoped.

Andy

Hi...

Here is some links that should help you out...

Bellhousing 101

Although the pictures no longer show on the first part of the thread, the original poster added them back on the later pages of the thread.

Also...there are several posts on the Chevelle site about the use of truck bellhousings in a car...it is NOT recommended unless you buy a special part...

Truck bell NO NO

Special Part

If you have any more questions, and/or need some pictures of a 4 speed setup for reference, let me know, and I will gladly help you out.

Thank you both for all the info , after looking at the links and winding up all over the net it looks like im gonna have to buy another one. Atleast i didnt pay for the truck one and now i know why lol