Drive shaft taper

cpmman

Does the small taper of the drive shaft go towards the front (transmission end) or towards the rear end?

It seems you can put a drive shaft in backwards and want to be sure not to..

Thanks,,,

Does the small taper of the drive shaft go towards the front (transmission end) or towards the rear end?

It seems you can put a drive shaft in backwards and want to be sure not to..

Thanks,,,

The smaller taper goes towards the transmission and the longer taper goes towards the rear... wink

Thanks Bill...are you 100% sure?

Well to be honest when I answered you earlier I had to go into my basement and look at my original driveshaft...it still has the tranny shaft on the smaller tapered end... grin

No shame in making sure. I had to bring in a drive shaft to get it lengthened. It was off of my 76 gmc that I had lifted 6 inches. As I was telling the guy behind the counter how long it needed to be-he looked at me and said "you know it's backwards right?". I had been running it that way for 3 years!!! I think I lied to him and said the truck came that way. When I came back to pick up the lenghtened shaft he had put the trans yoke on the right end for me. Did I mention I used to be ASE certified? David