Oil with Zinc

70 Iron

Goodmorning all,

A quick question for you engine Gru's.

Will using 20 w 50 on my flat tappet engines be ok ? I'm using Vavoline VR-1 with zinc in my Crate 454 and have been using the Lucas zinc additive on the others.Will using this weight harm the oiling in the others?I would like to use the VR-1 in them all and only need to keep one type on hand and instead of buying the additive for each oil change. My concern is that with the 20 w 50 being to much for a stock 350.

Thanks ,

Terry

I personally believe 20w50 was originally designed for race engines. If it was designed to run 30W then 10W30 would be good. You'r making your engine work harder to pump the 20W50. Some use it on engines with a lot of wear and may slow leaks.

Hi Jim,Thats what I have always used ,10 W 30 and I guess thats what should be used,So likely I'll keep using it.

I think the Lucas zinc additive will be the way to go,thanks

Terry

When Detroit specifies a particular weight of oil, it's always a compromise. Some cars will be driven in Alaska while others will live in Arizona. I've always used Rotella T 15W40 (the old SL rated version) in all of my Montes with excellent results. When the air temperature is north of 95 a regular 30 weight oil looks as thin as water in my engines. The Rotella T doesn't bump my oil pressure any that I can see. I have to go to a 20 weight oil to see any real change. That said, a 50 weight oil is usually best in race engines and air cooled engines.

Either Amsoil, or Royal Purple oils don't have to comply with the government regulations about zinc content allowing them to have an overall good amount of zinc additive in their oils. I use both in 10W40 and always have exellent results with heavy breathing 454/489 BB. For my engine Royal Purple seems to have the lowest amount of oil consumption.