A/C Delete Box Info.

Well I'm going to move on to the A/C evaporater box now that I'm done with the brake booster.

I'm needing some pics of Montes with an a/c delete box. I know this has been a subject before and I used the search and found the topics but the photos are gone and I'd like to get some ideas. I seen the one on E-Bay, but it seems to be alittle pricey. I'd appriciate any help.Thanks,

Jon.

------------------

Go Dale Jr. #8!!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

Buckets with Factory Tach

408 s/b ( UNDER CONSTRUCTION )

350 Turbo Trans.

Eaton Posi Ten Bolt 3.73 gear

OLD 1/4 TIME: 13Sec.@103MPH. 1/4 Mile

New 1/4 mile time to come!

Jon what are you looking for the box or picture of the box I might have a spair box (will in about few weeks (as soon as the temp gets around 50 around here)

Dave

------------------

mvc050s.jpg.w180h135.jpg

Ops I also for got if you need picture of the box I can get you some just let me know how you wnat them

Dave

------------------

mvc050s.jpg.w180h135.jpg

Is it a delete box or is it the original? I am looking for someone who had already installed their a/c delete box.

If you have a box, I'd be interested in it. All's I need is the shell though. I'm going to use ir for a mold to make my own delete box, or give it a try. I'd like to know how deep to make the part of the box in front of the air duct hole in the fire wall.

Jon.

------------------

Go Dale Jr. #8!!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

350 Turbo Trans.

contact me if you want ,i installed the delete cover you see listed on ebay it is well made and fit and looks great you have to do some drilling and cut the opening for the fan motor total installation took about 4 hours includin removing the fender well and repainting the fire wall i was happy with the results , if you cut a stock box i would leave about 3-4 inches from fire wall

Leo

Thanks Leo. I was thinking of buying one but they just seemed to expensive. Thanks for the info.

Jon.

------------------

Go Dale Jr. #8!!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

350 Turbo Trans.

Well I gave in and spent the big bucks and bought the one off E-Bay. I really like the looks and after leos post convinced me to go for it. So I went for it.Thanks for everyones help.

Jon.

Quote:
Originally posted by KLASSIK1:
contact me if you want ,i installed the delete cover you see listed on ebay it is well made and fit and looks great

Leo,
what did you do with the blower switch resistors for intermediate blower speeds? Or are you happy with having only OFF/HIGH for the blower?

just using off and high normally only drive it in summer weather , my longterm plan is to do a full conversion to non air using the firewall from a non air car and putting in the vents and the entire dash assembly just my preferance ,the car is a street machine so originality is not a concern for right now the fiberglass cover looks great and turned out better than i expected and most people who look under the hood dont even realize it was a air car

Leo

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andreas:
Leo,
what did you do with the blower switch resistors for intermediate blower speeds? Or are you happy with having only OFF/HIGH for the blower?
</font>

You can leave those in. If you don't want to cut mount holes in the new box, you must secure them somewhere. They cannot be touching anything because they get hot or will short out.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andreas:
Leo,

</font>

Ok, what exactly are you refering to Andreas? Is that the circuit box that controls the blower motor by the firewall? There was another electrical connection over to the side mdway down. That for the A/C unit only?

I think I know what your refering to on the blower motor though, just want to make sure.
Jon.

Hey Clock......How's your A/C delete coming along. I too am seriously considering dumping the A/C and using the delete box you purchased. I'd like to know as much about it as I can. The 396 engine is out of mine now, getting rebuilt and this would be an excellent time to do this conversion.

I had one of these delete boxes before deciding to go another direction. The BB engine being in the way is not a problem. What is in the way though is the inner fender. You can't get the blower motor out with that in the way, so you have to remove/move that so you can get that motor out in order to remove the AC box.

George, I got mine out an the new one in without doing awhole lot to the car, biggrin.gif where theres a will theres a way. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

OldThunder, after figuring out where my wires went back to and getting the hole trimmed for the old low speed resister, it was'nt that bad and it cam out great. Should offer me alot of room to tighten the back header bolt on that side now. The way I got the old box and motor out was to take out all the bolts holding the inner fender out accept for the very dront ones under the battery, but the big one was the brace that supports the inner fender and the fender itself moved out of the way. The only reason I had to mess with the inner fender at all was because there is one lower bolt on the motor end of the heater box you will have to squeeze your hand up past the inner fender from the outside of the car to get it out. Thats before I took that inner support bar out of the way. I could climb into the engine compartment and since the bar was out of the way it allowed me to drill a new hole for the new box. It's all straight forward install and common sence. You will have to carve out a square hole for the resistor that controls your lower speeds for your blower motor. It's the one thats in your exsisting box that has four prongs on it and the other side has coils. I went ahead and installed it in the new one like it was in the old one. I think these coils probably need some air flow to keep them cool. Other than that it was'nt to bad. I went to the parts store and got some sticky type thick tape, it's kinda gooy, and has cork bits in it. It was only $12 a role and it was kinda wide so i doubled it over and used it that way. It worked beeter than silicone for me becuase it did'nt have the mess. I just could'nt picture myself trying to wigle this new box and motor back in with silicone without making a giant mess. The sticky tape stuff done the trick. If you need a part number for the sticky tape let me know. I bought it at Orielly's Auto. I'm very satisfied with the outcome. There are a few mods you'll have to do like trim one of the lower studs that was for the old box and installing the resister but it just a matter of getting the box, and fitting it in there. Theres no rocket science to it really. Best advice I can give is just take your time. It's a fiberglass part and can crack easily. I cracked mine alittle on drilling out one of the holes but you really can't see it. You will have a choice of mounting the high speed resister, and the vacuum canister for your heater controls whether to mount them on the new box or firewall. I mounted them to my new box. Thats really all there is.

Jon.

Jon.

Thanx alot for the details Jon !!!! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds very doable.

Once again proving, that the members here are the best biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

oldthunder2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Can someone supply me/us with the company or person who sells these. I did a search on e-bay for a/c delete box and got nowhere. Maybe I didn't have the wording correct. I definetly am interested in getting that evaporator cover removed......Very hard to get at that #8 plug on my big block w/ headers.

Thanks in advance,

fran