Cleaning Out My Computer...Help, Advice.

I need some advice and help on cleaning out my computer. I did'nt know that everytime I visit a website the computer logs it. I have hundreds of entries or whatever in my cookie file. I'm just wanting to delete some and want to know how to go about identifying whats what and what I can delete and what I can't. I also was wondering if theres anywhere else in the computer that can be cleaned up. I have plenty of memory space and all, also have a maintenence scheadule also on the computer that goes through files every week. Any advice on this and anything else would be appritiated.

Jon.

Jon,

If you're using Microsoft's "Internet Explorer" to browse the net, you will see a menu button right now at the top that says "Tools". Click on that. Then at the bottom of that pop-up list you will see "Internet Options". Click on that...NOW

a.) push the "delete cookies" button (this will delete cookies!)

b.) next push the button next to that which says "delete files" and select "delete all offline content"...then "ok".

c.) next push the "settings" button. At the top of the next pop-up window, select the option "Every visit to the page". Then below that, set the amount of disk space to be used at about 5-10 mb...then press ok

d.) then press ok again and everything should be closed.

This will take care of a small amount of your "temp" files. One word of caution: when you delete your cookies then return to a password protected webpage...you will have to log in again because your "cookies" identify you and obviously they are now gone...but that's a small price to pay for a little periodic cleanup.

Hope this helps...

------------------

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Which is stronger? Your passion for performance or craving for personal luxury? Whatever your hunger, feast on Monte Carlo...Chevy.com</font>

my70monte.jpg

Take a looks at SpyBot (http://security.kolla.de/) its a free/donation-ware application that will scan your system, look for spyware and remove the files and registry entries. It will also act to immunize your system from additional spyware and drive-by downloads of unwanted junk. PC Mag gave it Editors pic recently, and I'm using it on my lap top and my work machine to help keep garbage out.

Not an end all solution, but every little bit helps

I second using spybot, it gets rid of most of the real nasty ones and will remove most of the bad cookies as well. I run it once a day because some of the sites I go to are full of ads and spyware. (not adult sites) smile.gif

Ian

------------------

frontshot1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

UH~HUH Sure......I know that is your story and your sticking to it wink.gif LOL j/k

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iann128:

I run it once a day because some of the sites I go to are full of ads and spyware. (not adult sites) smile.gif

Ian

</font>

------------------

Chevy_anim_drkgreen.gif1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Chevy_anim_drkgreen.gif

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

Would you belive that MSN has some of the worst ones on it? Also the Camaroz28 site has a bunch on it.

Ian smile.gif