Made it to the track yesterday

TommyP

I went to the local track's test and tune Saturday hoping to run a new personal best. I ended up with a best of 12.63 @ 108mph. Not as fast as I was hoping for. The best run that I had before this was the very first run ever with this engine a 12.68. The last few times that I have been to the track it seems to run ok but my times seem to be getting slower,last time out I think that 12.80's or 12.90's was the best I could do. I'm starting to think that I've got some other problem with the car. Could be so many things, cam losing a lobe,fuel presure droping off,torque converter going bad,it's hard to know were to start sometimes. frown

Don't get down Tom. Hey it is a new best!! Congrats!! What were your incremental times. 60' 330' 660'? Did it feel like it was nosing over at any time during the pass? Keep working at it. Your car is still haul'in and WILL get quicker and faster!

David

yeah,on the bright side the belt didn't come off at all after moving the alt. down inline with the water pump. The times on the best run were 1.87- 60', 5.26 - 330',7.57 - 594', 8.09 @86.68mph 1/8th, 10.55@98.83mph-1000', 12.68@108 -1/4. Does any of these numbers seem out of place?

Numbers look pretty much in line. Did you hook on the launch or have some tire spin. I'm thinking your 60' time could be a little better. You might be suffering the same issue as me with the converter being to tight and not letting the engine get into it's peak tq zone at the hit of the throttle. I now when I ran my best 12.3 something my mph was 108 with my old engine. Get the 60' foot and you will be good. Keep dig'in!!

David

Now I do remember reading that. I was going to make a comment about not getting your hopes up, but didn't want to be a debbie downer. I only picked up 20 HP going from an Edelbrock and RPM intake to a Prosystems HP/Air Gap with open spacer. If you are picking up 4 tenths or something spectacular with just a carb swap, my thoughts are the carb that came off was either way the wrong size or not tuned properly. At least you do have a nice carb to work with now. I would work on the jetting and the timing and see if you can squeeze more out of it. Play with shift RPMs, launch RPMs, lots of things you can do... If you're worried about the cam, a couple valve cover gaskets, a dial indicator and an hour to measure everythig can help you sleep at night....

I think before my 60' times were in the mid to high 1.90's which I thought were pretty bad. I don't feel that the car is spinning off the line at the track even though it does on the road. This new carb seems to have more power at the launch maybe because of the extra shot of gas with the double pumper? I'm not sure about the air that day. I guess that I should have checked that. I know that the car REALLY needs a converter to match the cam I've got. I guess the cost plus the work to put it in have kept me from calling and ordering it. I've got the 1350 yoke and spacer set for the rear end so I can upgrade the driveshaft next, then on to the converter. smile

It's a TCI Break-A-Way 11" advertised as approx 1000RPM over stock, it's been a problem ever since I built this engine. I have to have the idle set pretty high in park so that when I put it in drive it drops down to 900-1000 RPM. Right now I can't seem to get the RPM's up on the line because it seems to overcome the brakes and move the car forward.