smaller carb spacer or air filter

ScottNM

My newly installed 468 with Edelbrock RPM intake, 1" carb spacer and 3" air filter set up is kinda pressed hard under the hood. I suppose it has an adverse affect on the filter. I live at 6k altitude. My builder wanted me to use the 1"spacer but I think he is ok without it. What would you do? I think i am going to order a 1/2" spacer and keep the filter. THe filter does have a 1 5/8 recessed bottom to it. The other thing is maybe a 2 1/2" filter. Your input is appreciated. Not ready for a cowl hood.

Is your carb a Holley and does it have a choke horn? A drop base with a 3 inch filter may be putting your lid right on the choke horn.

I think I'd rather have no spacer and no restriction above the carb than the reverse. Does the spacer have any dyno proven performance increase? I don't think a 2 1/2 filter will give you the breathing a 468 needs.

Some say the best drop base is the L88 sold by some Corvette resto companies - it has the deepest drop and best design.

Also Wix sells racing filters in 1/4 inch increments for a 14 inch open element. For me, a 4 inch was pushing hood clearance and 3 was a little stubby, so I settled on a 3.75 inch Wix filter with a drop base and Holley with no choke horn on an RPM air gap.