700R4 Torque convertor question

Leghome

Pulled the motor and tranny out of my 72 today. The torque convertor seems loose after I separated the motor and tranny. Should there be any slop with the torque convertor just hanging. My son in-law thought it was very loosey goosey. It has been 38 yrs since I last had a torque out and that was on a 1968 Dodge station wagon.

IF you push the converter all the way back ( away from the flexplate) its still going to move a bit . The pump drive end rides in a bushing and the shell is supported and centered by the nose stub . Yes it will move about . Its possible though you need to consider replacing the seal and front bushing .

You mention this is a 700R4 . If it does not have a spring clip over the front seal , I would recommend you add that . ITs a saftey to keep the seal from pushing out from overpressure . There is an upgrade/modification to drill the oil return port to prevent the seal pusing out . If you trans was rebuilt it may have had that mod done .

The seal retainer is on the outside of the front pump . Here is a link that should show the retainer I speak of : http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/74089.html. The modification of drilling the oil passage can not be seen without removing the front seal . It can not be modified unless the pump is out and taken apart . It very well could have been modified at rebuild .

• 2 weeks later...