Gear Contact Pattern

MGD72Monte

I wanted to baseline the diffential gear contact pattern during the disassembly as I am planning to re-use the unit. To mark the pattern I used Permatex Prussian Blue (only thing I found around here.) The contact area looks very large, but centered from what I can tell. I am hardly an expert. Any input by those who are?

You also will notice a chipped tooth (easier to see in the second pic. I have yet to find the missing chunk and I know the diff was opened before my time (20+ years ago) as it has an aftermarket cover. I'm suspecting that has been there for a long time with no symptoms. Not sure if I'm gona worry about it, this is a 2.73 so I'm into slow cruising, not drag racing. Comments welcome.

Thanks

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

Well I might not be an expert but I have set up a couple of rear ends and the pattern looks great. I would agree with you on the tooth chip that it was probably flushed out when the cover was changed.If you are happy with the 2.73 gears (I have the same) then don't fix it if it isn't broke lol. David

I think with the right checking compound the pattern will look a little different. Probably a little less wide since the checking compound is thicker.

The chip in the tooth was possibly caused by dropping. the normally don't break there from load.

Just don't mix up the shims and caps and you should be fine on reassembly.