Differential Sandblast

MGD72Monte

Finally have finished the differential teardown. Ready for sandblast. I thought about doing myself but due to the size and the time it would take, I will be farming that out. Found a place in the area. To prep I plan to solvent clean the insides, then stuff it with rags, duct tape up the wheel end areas and the differential cover area. Any other tips on pre-sandblast prep? Thanks

IMG_0121.jpg

My suggestion is when you do the ENDS put some grease all around the inside lip before you seal it up with tape etc. This way if any sand does get PAST that it will get trapped by the grease there. Then when you get it back wipe it out good, flush with solvent completely a few times. Repeat again to ensure NO sandy grit is in there in any crevices of the inside casing. All that hard work don't want SAND to ruin the new innards.

Good luck and PICS..

Who you getting to do it??

Scott

Thanks for the good advice guys, I'm having a place near Brighton do the work. The cover I have is an aftermarket chrome cover so I was not going to get it blasted.

Which guys in Brighton? Being from the Quinte area originally I have buddies down that way would be funny if it's someone I know...and if you can find a decent cover from the wreckers that would work!!!

Anyway good luck and as always pics....pm me if you want with the info I would be curious.

Scott

I just suggested that to keep the media out of there while blasting it.

That's what I figured but think it will be easier to tape the opening than try to protect the cover from the blast media.

Thanks