Header lengths?

Murphy

Looking at purchasing a set of Hedman headers, mid-length vs full length. My reasoning is that when I convert to a 4-speed (year or so) I won't have to change or modify the leftside header due to linkage issues. Currently have a TH350, column shift.I should only have to modify the exhaust pipe..possibly. My question is, the full length headers help produce more HP vs mid-length or shorty's.......Is this really true? And could there really be much of a difference?

From what I remember you don't lose horsepower so much as you lose torque. The only time I ran mid-length was when I had the 400 small block in my 70. I switched from manofolds so there was a difference according to the seat dyno lol. But I went to a 454 years later with full length and there was a definate difference. However I don't think that was due to the headers only lol. If you can afford it or are ready to put up with any potential hassles (I am not sure there will really be any). Then I would get the full lenght. David

A lot of Super Stock cars use a full length header and an extended collector.That tells me that a certain length collector makes more torque/power then a mid length header.A street car with less cam may take a shorter collector.I've never seen a shorty header on any Super Stock cars.If there is not a major price difference then I would get a full length header.