convertible

dirtyj

i finaly got around to starting on my convertible project. i posted some pics on the gallery labled convertible if interested. i had to wait till i finished the boys 70 chevelle for his 16th birthday before i started on it.

Hey Jason, Good luck with the project. Gotta say your son has great taste in his choice of car...... wink

anyhow seeing how you are no stranger to the 70 Chevelle and 70 Monte take a look inside the trunk of a 70 chevelle Convertible if you get a chance above and to the right and left of the inner wheel wells as there are hidden quarter panel braces you will need to put in the quarters of the monte as the rear quarters will kink inqards without them when the roof folds down..to much weight on that part of the body with the frame rail all folded up and reclineing. my 1970 chevelle convertible had them and also the other 2 I had over the many years. I have not looked at the pics you posted but dont also forget to box in the frame rail from just behind the tranny crossmember holes all the way back to where the box control arms bolt into the carrier on the frame too another high stress area... Darren.

Also forgot Jason, I hope you kept the Rear 1/4 glass windows out of the chevelle donar car..???? as the ragtop rear quarter glass is diff than the hrdtp glass.......Ragtop rear windows are longer ir wider which ever way you wanna say it...the door glass is the same though from ragtop to hardtop..And there are EXTRA bodymounts on a ragtop as well to cusion the contorting body on our cars...Monte's that is,as well as door strikers to align the doors up when shut and the roof is down they are small traingle wedges screwed onto the doors with 2 small philips screws and the wedges are 1-1/2".Rear back upper seat is also 6 inches narrower to accomidate the folding top when its hidden away...man I could go on about the diffs.....I'll let you PM me if you have any questions...Darren.

Darren.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jason, hope this is some inspiration for you. not the greatest pictures as it was before the Jpeg era... the before pics from 1993 the day I bought it from an old school teacher outside his house and then the after pictures just 2 years later outside my place.. big difference so keep going my friend..

Darren,

before2.jpg

before1.jpg

after1.jpg

after2.jpg