shift linkage adjustment?

bgl0b6

I just installed a turbo 400,it doesn't seem to shift into all positions correctly.This is from a stationary position,parked.It is a column shift car.When I pull it from park to reverse,its a positive click,to neutral,just slides in like nothing,no click,then click into drive,click into 2nd,and then stops,won't pull down into low.Is there a certian position to have the trans in before adjusting the slip nut on the rod from the steering column,any help appreciated Mike

Try from the other direction: put the trans all the way into low and select low on the column...then adjust the linkage to fit in between.

I tried that and no work.Heres what I have maybe some one has an idea.The trans is a long shaft turbo 400 out of an Impala,with out the linkage attached it shifts(clicks solidly into all gears)the car originally was a 350 turbo and has the 3 speed indicator.when I install the rod and linkage to the trans it clicks from park to reverse but kind of slips right into neutral,then it clicks to drive and clicks to second,but will not pull any further into low,kind of stops at second tight.I did go take the linkage off of my 72 parts car and it is exactly the same and does the same thing.I have the linkage from the Impala,but the rod is bent almost opposite of the Monte and hits the fire wall as soon as it reached reverse,also the rod from the frame to the trans is 4-5'' longer because of the with of the B body.Any one have any ideas....HELP Please

It's possible that the actual linkage arm bolted to the trans is different. Maybe you can swap that piece and solve your problem. Chevrolet was pretty good at keeping things the same from car to car so the assembly line didn't have these issues, but it's still possible that piece is slightly different.

Other than that, you might want to try once again to adjust what you have by putting the trans and column in neutral and adjusting from there.

I measured the C-shaped linkage bracket on the trans last night and it is the same,also tried adjusting it in all gears with the same results.I know the trans shifted fine before as I drove the Impala home when I bought the car for the engine and trans.I'm kind of baffled here,just cant figure out whats going on for sure....

I figured it out last night,I think.When I bought the car it had a metric 200 and a 305 from a 79 Monte in it,I pulled it and installed a 402 with the 400 turbo.I think for what ever reason they slightly bent the bell crank assembly a touch.I got one off of a friends '72 Chevelle and laid them side to side,I had to bend mine inward about 1/4 inch,shifts great now....Mike

I was getting a bit worried as I had tried several others I had here and was running into similar results.I thought I was going to have to get away from the long shaft 400.Its fresh rebuilt and I also spent $200. to get the drive shaft made for it.Any way its going to work out o.k.