Need some help

Andy Gargagliano

My neighbor pulled his 396 out of his 71 Chevelle today.He used the block/trans holes to mount the engine to the engine stand.He said when he tightened the bolt that goes through the block into the oil filter area oil started leeking down the filter on to ground?He unscrewed the filter and took it off.There is a metal piece that has two bolts going through it.it may also be screw onto the oil filter shaft,not sure.We took the two bolts out but the piece did not come out?Could it be that he tightened the bolt to much damaging that piece causing it to leak oil?If so how does that piece come out so he can replace it.Thanks for any help.

I have seen something like that before and if my memory isn't to fuzzy it is an oil filter adapter. I have been wrong a couple of other times today so this could be my trifecta.

That sounds like the adapter that replaces the bolt on steel can with cartridge filter that was on the early big blocks and small blocks.

Look something like this?

HHT-KF2.jpg